Bayadera (Traditional Serbian Chocolate Dessert)

Here's a recipe from my Serbian friend Biljana for a delicious (traditional!) chocolate dessert. I had been pestering her about this recipe since she served it at a party. She recently flew back to Serbia (I don't know when I'll ever see her again, sniff sniff), and as a parting present, she finally gave me this recipe by posting it on her blog. I'm reposting what she wrote here.


"Bayadera; it’s Serbian, delicious and easy to make, so try it out:)

Cook 330g of sugar with a little water (enough to just cover sugar) until it gets sticky and syrupy.
Add 125g of margarine, 150g of ground walnuts and 150g of Graham cracker crumbs. Divide into halves.
In one half add two bars of melted chocolate.
First spread on the tray the dark half (one with chocolate);
on the top of it spread the other half (they should both be between 0.5 and 1 cm).
Top it with the chocolate glaze made by cooking half cup of sugar with two tbsp of milk and 2 bars of chocolate.
Once the glaze is homogenous, add small square of margarine… and ENJOY!!!"

Comments