Chinese Tea Eggs

One dish I learned about from my Chinese friend Yuying was Chinese tea eggs. She served me some when I dropped by her house to pick up some school books. It was the first time I had heard of it, but I was intrigued by it and I wanted to try making it for myself. Basically, tea eggs are regular chicken eggs boiled in tea. But because of the process, it ends up being marbled. I thought they were both pretty AND delicious.

What you'll need

8 eggs
2 or 3 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons Chinese five spice powder
1 piece star anise
1 tea bag (plain black tea)

What you'll do

Boil some water, and put the eggs and all the ingredients in.
Let the eggs boil for 3-5 minutes.
Remove the pot from the fire.
Remove the eggs from the water, then gently crack the egg's shell all over.
Do not remove the shell.
Put the eggs back in the pot, making sure there is still enough water to cover the eggs.
Let the eggs simmer for an hour.
Put the fire out, but let the eggs stay in the water for another hour.
Drain and enjoy.
You may dip the egg in a salt and pepper mixture.
The eggs can be eaten hot or cold.

Comments

Anonymous said…
hi gidget, did it taste like tea? i've had these before and I didn't think it tasted like tea. they serve them at a restaurant called tea station near my house.

henry chan
Alex A. said…
Actually, henry, the tea taste was very faint :) i dipped it in a mixture of salt, pepper, and 5-spice powder to make it tastier...
Anonymous said…
hi gidget, yeah, it was very faint for me as well. and then, they gave us soy sauce and it basically tasted like a regular boiled egg with soy sauce. interesting...

henry