Mambo Grill, Chicago

While I was in Chicago, I did some research on top restaurants in the city which didn't have prices that were way too outrageous. I came up with Topolobampo, a Tex-Mex restaurant on North Clark street. Vicky and I went to check it out, but unfortunately, we were not forward-looking enough to make reservations. The hostess (is that the right word?) told us that there would be a two-and-a-half hour wait. Since we were already hungry, we went down the street and tried our luck elsewhere.

We stumbled upon Mambo Grill a few meters down the road. We looked in a bit, saw that it was Zagat rated, so we sat and waited for a table. We ordered a pitcher of mojito, which is something that Mambo Grill is apparently known for (it has been voted best mojito in Chicago by Metromix, a lifestyle website). It went well with the chips and salsa, and I had too much of both before the main course arrived (well, I was VERY hungry.) I had the Plantain-Crusted Halibut, while Vicky had the Coconut-Curried Tilapia. The halibut was ok, but I had a taste of the tilapia and I liked that better. We decided to split each dish, so we could have both dishes. This arrangement worked to my advantage because we both preferred the tilapia.

I didn't finish either dish, but that was mostly because I had too many chips and too much salsa. We didn't even finish the pitcher of mojito (which was excellent, by the way), because Vicky needed to drive, and I was just too stuffed to take in anything more.

I never learn. If I have appetizers, I never finish my main course. At least, not when I'm in the US where the servings are more often than not just too big for me.

Plantain-Crusted Halibut


Mambo Grill
412 N. Clark St.
between Hubbard and Kinzie
Chicago, IL 60610
Tel: (312) 467.9797

Comments