Surprise birthday party, food from Kuchen, cake from Estrel's

My friends from the defunct show Alas Singko Y Medya very thoughtfully threw me a very small surprise lunch for my birthday. They told me to meet up with them at the news makeup room, and when I got there, they turned on the lights and sang the happy birthday song. They even had a cake with a candle for me to blow out.

Yeng ordered the food from Kuchen, a home-based catering business. I liked the eggplant parmigiana, although I thought the pieces were a bit too large, thus making it hard to cut and eat using plastic utensils.

Spaghetti Vongole, Eggplant Parmigiana

Kate brought dessert. I always enjoy having Estrel's caramel cake, but I probably don't get as excited as others do about eating it, because it's been a part of almost all of our family gatherings since I was a small child. I think I'm somehow related (I'm not sure if it's by blood or by affinity) to "Tita Estrel", as we referred to her as children. Like any typical child, I probably said petulantly, "Caramel cake again???" after the nth reunion which had this as the featured dessert.

Estrel's famous Caramel Cake

At any rate, a big lunch like that is a great way to celebrate one's birthday, especially if it's unexpected, and organized by some of your best and most trusted friends.

Comments