Rice Fest at Kanin Club, UP-Ayalaland Technohub

My L.A.-based sister-in-law Liz and my nephew Aidan recently came home for a two-week visit, and as is wont to happen in family reunions, a lot of eating was bound to be had. Every chance I had to see them ended up in having a (big) meal, and I just resigned myself to the fact that their vacation was going to be fattening not only for the balikbayans.

Aligue Rice

One afternoon, I met up with them along with my other sister-in-law Tintin and her cute little son Raffy at UP-Ayalaland Technohub to have lunch at Kanin Club. We wanted them to have a lot of good Pinoy food while they were here, and a place where rice is the centerpiece certainly seemed as Pinoy as one could get. I had heard a lot about this restaurant, but never quite got around to trying it, mostly because I’ve been trying to cut down on carbs and the name of this restaurant clued me in to the fact that it’s probably not the easiest place to go hi-protein.

But… since Liz and Aidan were on holiday, we considered ourselves to be on holiday as well. And as we all know, rules, particularly those pertaining to diet, are suspended when one is on vacation.

So, we decided to eat whatever caught our fancy on the menu. There were so many seafood choices on the menu that I didn’t know where to start. After much deliberation, we (or should I say “I”) decided to have Seafood Kare-Kare, Binukadkad na Tilapia, Tinapa Rice, and Aligue Rice.

Tinapa Rice

Their rice is understandably the star of the menu, given the restaurant’s name. Our choices turned out to be very good. How can you go wrong with aligue anyway? I particularly liked their tinapa rice though. With all that fried garlic on top, I had to stop myself from finishing the whole bowl (which I think was actually good for four or five people).

Seafood Karekare

I thought their seafood kare-kare was excellent. I am always on the lookout for this seafood version, because I loved kare-kare (the meaty kind) when I was a child. I’ve missed eating this dish, because the veggie or seafood versions I usually get to early rarely give me the same satisfaction that I remember getting back in the day when I used to eat meat. BUT this seafood kare-kare is certainly one of the best versions I’ve tasted. It was not too fishy, yet it was still very tasty.

Binukadkad na Tilapia

I like their tilapia too, since it was cooked in my favorite way- deep-fried to a crisp. So crunchy, I ate some of the bones!

We were all very full after that meal, and had the leftover rice for takeout. Kanin Club is definitely not the place to go to if you’re on a diet. But, to paraphrase their menu, the food is soooo worth the extra exercise you’re going to need to burn off those calories.


Kanin Club
UP-Ayalaland Technohub
Quezon City, Philippines

Comments

eightarms said…
agree! love this resto! buti na lang nagkaron sa technohub otherwise it would have taken me longer to try it...have you been to the original sta. rosa branch?
Giselle said…
Do they have other branches?