Students' lunch at Smile Cafe, Philadelphia, PA

Felicity wanted me to meet some of her friends from UPenn during my visit to Philadelphia, so she arranged a quick lunch with Rey, her classmate and one of her good friends in her Ph.D program. I met up with them at Smile Cafe, a Thai restaurant, after their morning class. Ph.D students apparently have very busy schedules so Rey could only spare exactly one hour for lunch.

The restaurant offered very reasonably priced lunch meals. I'm assuming this is because they cater to a lot of students. They had set meals at $7.95, inclusive of one entree and two starters. I chose the Shrimp Satay with spring rolls and steamed dumplings. It's a good thing the spring rolls were vegetarian, and the dumplings were filled with shrimp, both pescetarian-friendly fare.

For the price, I wasn't really expecting much of the meal. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the dumplings and the spring rolls were.

Steamed Dumplings and Spring Rolls

I wasn't as happy with the shrimp, as there were just a few pieces. But since it's a budget meal, I didn't really mind.

Shrimp Satay

I enjoyed that lunch because Rey was a cool girl, and it was nice to meet other people in Felicity's life. This is the first time I've seen her since grad school, so it's great that I get to see how her life is carrying on after all these years.


Smile Cafe
Thai Modern Food
105 South 22nd Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States 19103
Tel. No. (215)564.2502
www.thai-smilecafe.com

Comments