Reunited with Red Lobster's lobster pizza

It’s been three years since my last visit to the US. I did miss a lot of food that can be had here, but one of the things that I wanted to eat first when I returned was nothing fancy, merely a sentimental favorite- lobster pizza from Red Lobster.

I remember having this when I was still studying in Mizzou, and I wanted to eat something that would surely cheer me up. It would consistently taste the way it always had, and this reliability was a draw for me.

And so, soon after I landed in Chicago, off to Red Lobster I went. Not the most original of places, but as I said, it’s more of a comfort food kind of place for me. As planned, I ordered the lobster pizza, which tasted pretty much like I remembered it. 

Lobster pizza
But… I also over-ordered as per usual, especially as there were many things on the menu that I hadn’t seen before. I also asked for the lobster roll (to start!), which was supposed to be merely a bite to whet your appetite. (But since this is the US, the bite was more like a mini-meal.) I liked the bread, it was soft and sweetish and a nice complement to the lobster.

Lobster roll
After the pizza and roll, it was time for the main event. I ordered a seafood trio that was supposed to have lobster tails, shrimp, and lobster mac and cheese. When it arrived, it had crabmeat instead of the mac and cheese. I was disappointed, but being the non-complaining-restaurant-goer that I am, I grinned and bore it.

Seafood trio
The crab wasn’t bad, but I did have my heart set on that mac and cheese. It was totally my fault of course for wimping out and not asking that they correct the error, but, well, maybe I'll learn to make complaints in restaurants in my next life. 

All that food left me bursting at the seams but when I saw on the menu that they had key lime pie, I couldn't resist having dessert. This pie is on my list of "things to eat" during this holiday, so I thought it was good to start my food tour with a slice of it.

Key lime pie
Sad to say I was disappointed by the pie, it tasted like it had extenders and it wasn't as fine and creamy as I would want it to be. In fact, I didn't finish it, which is a bad sign, as I think wasting dessert is one of the cardinal sins.

Still, going to Red Lobster was still a nice trip down memory lane (including memories of a fully distended stomach after a meal here). But I’ve had my lobster pizza fix for the trip so I don’t think I’ll be coming back to this restaurant during this trip.


-->

Comments