Cheap, tasty Asian food at 9.Teishoku Restaurant, Madrid

It hasn’t been that easy to look for good Asian restaurants in Madrid. Some good ones I’ve come across are pretty pricey, probably because the ingredients are not all that easily available. I’m always on the lookout for good Japanese, Chinese, Thai, or Vietnamese restaurants, or even Singaporean, Indonesian, or Malaysian ones, none of which I’ve seen so far.

Brooks and I were close to Plaza de Espana and as there is usually the smell of Chinese food wafting from the basement somewhere there I was suddenly in the mood for Asian fare. We were looking for a place to have lunch and as it was getting close to 4:00pm, we were trying to find one fast. Restaurants are usually eager to close after the lunch hours (that word is almost always plural in Spain).

We stumbled across this place called 9Teishoku, a little off the main thoroughfare (we were very close to Gran Via). We checked out the menu outside and the selections looked interesting, the prices very reasonable, so we made a quick decision to try it out.

We were pleasantly surprised when we got inside. The interiors of the place were nice, unexpected only because the prices on the menu seemed so cheap, thus lowering expectations of how the place would look. The menu was a mix of Japanese, Chinese, and Thai dishes, and this combination is something I’ve seen in several Asian restaurants.

We were famished so we ordered as quickly as we could. We had some dimsum to share, but unfortunately I couldn’t eat too much of it as most of it had meat. 

Fried dimsum
That was all right though, as I had a hefty bowl of fried rice and battered shrimp (their version of tempura).

Fried Rice (Arroz Tres Delicias)

Battered Shrimp (Shrimp Tempura)
I enjoyed everything I ate, except maybe the pineapple on which the shrimp were sitting. I’m used to eating super sweet pineapples so the blandness of it surprised me. It’s always good to lessen your sugar intake, of course, but I just couldn’t get myself to finish the pineapple that didn’t taste as how I think pineapple should.

Overall though, we were really happy to come across this place. We’ll probably be back, especially since the restaurant is not that far from where we both live.


9.Teishoku Restaurant
Calle Leganitos, 10
Madrid 28013
Tel: 911734190

Comments