Trattoria Strada Nova

Another restaurant on my Columbia list was Trattoria Strada Nova, since my friend Felicity had told me good things about it. So on one of my last days in town, I went there for a late lunch. To start off, I had the Grilled Portobello. This picture isn't very appetizing, but the mushrooms (drizzled with olive oil) were really good.

Grilled Portobello

For my main course, I had the Grilled Tuna. According to the menu, it was to be "served rare, with traditional nicoise accompaniments in dijon dressing". Sounded promising, and besides, in my limited experience, it's hard to go wrong with grilled tuna. However, the dish proved to be a bit of a disappointment. It tasted bland, fish included, which I found strange. Usually, tuna is very tasty even by itself (raw and unseasoned). The dressing was unremarkable, and as mentioned, even the tuna lacked flavor. I was not very satisfied with the dish, so I decided to have dessert to feel better about the meal.

Grilled Tuna

I chose the Flourless Chocolate Cake, which is another favorite dessert of mine. This managed to save the meal for me. It was so good; moist with just the right sweetness. It was even the right size- not so big that I couldn't finish it. The cake made me feel so much better about the disappointing main course.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

I had heard and read so much about this restaurant that my expectations were pretty high. I do wish I had ordered something else for my entree, but I guess two good courses out of three isn't all too bad.


Trattoria Strada Nova
21 North Ninth Street
Columbia, Mo 65201
(573)442.8992

Comments