Heaven in a bag- Lay's wavy potato chips dipped in milk chocolate

I like eating things that are a combination of sweet and savory, so the concept of chocolate covered potato chips (incidentally two of my favorite things), is appealing to me. I know a lot of people are grossed out by the thought of eating something like this, but this particular thought has the opposite effect on me. It makes me salivate and want to have some immediately.

I have long been a fan of the chocolate covered potato chips produced by Japanese chocolate manufacturer Royce'. I don't often have it, because the calorie count is too immense to be consuming them on a regular basis. I consider it more as a treat, to be had on special occasions, or during emotional emergencies (usually brought on by PMS). They are a bit pricey too, and I have to go out of my way to buy them in Manila as they are only available in Royce' stalls.

When I found out that Lay's would be launching their own version of the product while I was in the States, I thought that this meeting between us was meant to be. How opportune that I would be close by when this concoction was introduced to the public.

My sister had informed me via email that this product would be available in Target, so I checked the chips section whenever I went there. I never chanced upon some, so I believed that they had not yet been launched. Yesterday though, during some last minute Christmas shopping, Liz spotted one in one of the aisles and showed it to me. I was very happy to know this was not an urban legend but an actual pack I could hold in my hand.

At long last! I have you in my hand!

We scoured the aisles but we couldn't find another pack. We inquired from the Target staff, and apparently, the product was featured in the seasonal section. This explains why I hadn't seen it in the chips section where I had searched for it in the past. They also informed us that they had no more bags in stock, and suggested that we look in other Target outlets.

I will continue looking for them, but in the meantime I had to try the chips. I opened them as soon as I could, and it was as sinful and enjoyable as I expected it to be. I loved it, although I did think that the chocolate overpowered the potato chip's flavor. The Royce' version was more balanced, in terms of sweetness and saltiness. I liked the chocolate though, it was smooth and creamy. 

I will be on the lookout for more of these bags. I'm sure my chocolate loving friends (including my sister who pointed them out to me in the first place) would love to get a bag when I get back.


Comments