Vegetarian eats at The Black Pig, Alabang

I don’t often get a chance to try restaurants in Alabang or even just go there in general, mostly because heading there always feels like an out-of-town trip. The distance and traffic from Quezon City and having to pay toll contribute to this aversion to heading south. So when I knew I was going to be in the area for the day, I was excited to have a chance to finally visit The Black Pig, which I’d already heard about as a destination for people who like both food and drink. They are said to offer European-inspired food and their own craft beers.

The name of the restaurant would put off a vegetarian, but I looked up the menu and knew I had a few dishes to choose from. At the very least, I could try the items on their drinks list.


When I arrived there for lunch, I saw their specials for the day on the blackboard, and was happy to see that they had a vegetarian offering, called Autumn Black Truffle Risotto. Although there were some other dishes I could try from their menu, this was my choice. (I'm a sucker for specials.) They also had a lot of things I could eat from their list of sides, snack and bites. I chose their chickpea beignet with a mustard dip to accompany my main course.

Autumn Black Truffle Risotto
Chickpea Beignet with Mustard Dip
It was such a heavy lunch that I decided against having any wine or beer to go with it. I really enjoyed the risotto, and I also like the chickpea beignet, particularly the mustard dip. But I was not able to finish the beignet, (which looks like French fries) because the risotto was very rich and dense.

Aside from the food, I also liked the ambience of the place. It was cozy for lunch, and you can see how it would easily transform into a watering hole in the evening, where you can have a drink or two with friends. Known for its meat (they stated this very clearly in their name after all), it’s nice to know they still have something for vegetarians and pescetarians.

If and when I find myself in the area, The Black Pig is a place I would like to visit again. I’d like to try their drink list, particularly their craft beers. These would probably go very well with items on their list of sides.

Going to The Black Pig is worth the long drive, and even the toll.


The Black Pig
Second floor, The Commerce Center Alabang
1780 Commerce Center Filinvest Avenue
Filinvest City, Muntinlupa
Philippines
+63(2)808.1406

+63.917.846.2674

Comments