Rushing though lunch in Prague, Czech Republic

I am a slow eater. All my friends know this, so they are very patient when I take more time than they do during meals. I hate being rushed to eat. In fact if I am told I am only given 15 minutes to eat (for example, during a break for a tour, a meeting, or anything similar), I prefer not to eat at all. I would rather suffer in hunger than rush through any kind of meal.

This afternoon though, I was left with no choice. Because I only had a few days in Prague, and for the most part I was busy with the conference I was there for, I had to make time for a meal that wasn’t part of the summit.

On my last day, before heading off to the airport, I went with Maribel (from ABS-CBN Middle East), to see some sights in Prague before our afternoon flights. Our sightseeing and souvenir-shopping took longer than we thought so we had little time left for lunch, which we both wanted to have before flying to our respective destinations.

Under time pressure, we chose whatever was already open for lunch and whatever had pescetarian options. We happened upon U Tri Zvonku (I’m not even sure if that’s the restaurant’s name!) which was open at 11 am. (We had to leave our hotel by 12:30pm.)




The waiter was very friendly. He asked which country we were from and proceeded to bring the Philippine flag to the table after we told him. Apparently they do this to all their customers. (Bring their respective flags to their tables, that is.)


We hurriedly ordered from the menu, where Maribel chose a porkchop with fries, and I opted to have some salmon with mashed potatoes.

Salmon with mashed potatoes
I was so anxious as the food took longer than I expected. It arrived around 11:45, so I only had 15 minutes or so to finish it, as we had to take a cab back to the hotel and I still had to finish packing.

The food was worth it though. The salmon was perfectly cooked, moist and tasty. The mashed potatoes were heavenly too. It was chunky and not overly mashed, just the way I like it.

I think though that it was the fastest meal I’d ever had in my life. It was a pity I couldn’t savor the flavors, as I only had 15 minutes to wolf down the whole thing. I managed to do it, but it further strengthened my belief that a meal rushed is a meal wasted.


-->

Comments